Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Rick Dyer is a mischievous fellow"


"Rick Dyer is a mischievous fellow"

Rick Dyer is a mischievous fellow, and that's one of the reasons I like him. While others may proclaim that they aren't part of his inner circle, I am very glad to be affiliated with Rick. We had a disagreement this week about the way the Boston tragedy should be commemorated, and the devilish side of Rick decided that our discussion should remain public. I have no regrets about the conversation, which I honestly thought was private until well into it, but I would encourage anyone who watches it to take note of the good natured way in which Rick handles all of us who raised concerns, including the most vocal one (cough).

My concerns were about taste and alienation, not about Rick's politics. We're very different, Rick and I, in many ways, but we're alike in the ways that matter. I want Rick to be well-remembered by history. He has been chosen to be the one man who proves the existence of a legendary species, and it's important to me that this all goes well for him. Not just because I like him, but also because if it goes badly, history will say he was cursed by what he did, and that the species never should have been discovered.

But now that Rick has made us all aware of the existence of Sasquatch, whether people agree with what he did or not, we have a chance to protect the species in a way that we might have lost if they remained unknown to us. The choices we would have made for our future could have unwittingly caused the demise of the Sasquatch, without our ever knowing it. That's why this moment is important, and that's why I gave Rick a hard time about that blog post. He generously discussed it with us, and that's yet another example I've witnessed of his generous and open-minded nature.

DD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post by DD!