Wednesday, June 4, 2014

David W. Patten and “Cain”

Editor: Here is another report of an interesting encounter, just one of thousands that you may not be aware of. Very soon, many more people who were previously scared and unwilling to come forward with the accounts of their story, will do so without being ridiculed and harassed.



By: Timothy Fricke - Team Tracker Member

David W. Patten (November 14, 1799- October 25, 1838) was an early leader in the Latter Day Saint movement and an original member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He was killed at the Battle of Crooked River and is regarded as a martyr by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.


David W. Patten


Abraham O. Smoot gave his recollection of David Patten’s account of meeting “a very remarkable person who had represented himself as being Cain.”



“As I was riding along the road on my mule I suddenly noticed a very strange person walking beside me… His head was about even with my shoulders as I sat in my saddle. He wore no clothing, but was covered with hair. His skin was very dark. I asked him where he dwelt and he replied that he had
no home, that he was a wanderer in the earth and traveled to and fro.


He said he was a very miserable creature that he had earnestly sought death during his sojourn upon the earth, but that he could not die, and his mission was to destroy the souls of men. About the time he expressed himself thus, I rebuked him in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by virtue of the Holy Priesthood, and commanded him to go hence, and he immediately departed out of my sight…”


Abraham Owen Smoot (February 17, 1815–March 22, 1895) was a Mormon pioneer, the second mayor of Salt Lake City, Utah, mayor of Provo, Utah, and an early supporter of Brigham Young Academy, which evolved into Brigham Young University.


 Abraham Owen Smoot

No comments: