Sunday, March 10, 2013

Randy Filipovic aka Racer X The Video!!! Exposed!!





Hi everyone. I just bought a dagger or short sword, not quite sure what it is. I know a fair amount about types and period of swords but this one has me baffled. I thought I would come here to ask for input and suggestions from the people here.
This is great since it's a global community. I'll give a description as best as I can and will include some pictures.

Overall length is 21.5". Blade length is 14.5" and 1.25" wide.At the thickest point the blade is 5/16" thick.
The pommel is quite ornate and appears to be cast of brass
and gilt. The rings around the top and bottom of the handle look like very thin brass, gilt and saudered at one place.The handle is wood which in my estimate looks like oak and is wire wrapped. The wire is one continuous strand and it's not twisted or braided.The guard is a longated hexagonal shape and the quillons are missing. All that's left are square holes. It looks like perhaps a ring was on one side of the guard because something obviously broke off.
The blade is in good condition on one side but a bit rough on the other sadly. The engraving on the blade is the same on both sides. At the guard is a design that reminds me of a wrought iron gate. I doubt that's what is though. There is a cannon, what period I don't know but it has three rings around the barrel.The cannon is over two crossed lances or polls with plain flags.The other engravings are floral in nature and it appears to be two roses. The blade is blued and gilt as well. I can make out a fine gilt line running the length of the blade on the non edged portion.
There is no stamp or mark on the blade from the craftsmen. The only mark is on a substantial tang in the form of what looks like a number. Looking at it as you hold it : 09. I thought it might be 60 but it looks like an upside down 9 when viewed the other way.
Short swords and daggers are not my forte but I'll spend the better part of the weekend researching this nice piece(in my opinion). This piece looks far different than the photos I had to go on when I bid on it.
It looks homogenous to me but I'm not sure about the guard. The handle still fits snug, the wire wrap is loose and the blade is pitted on one side. Most of the bluing is visible too.
I got it for a moderate price( I think) and bought it simply because I liked it's individuality.
If anyone has comments, suggestions, guesses about period, country, or knows where I can email for info, please feel free to post away!
Many thanks in advance, Randy
-->       

No comments: